Owning a coastal property near a body of water is a dream shared by many. Whether you live on an island, or near a lake, or close to a larger sea or ocean, there’s something about the sight and sound of water that soothes the soul and brings a feeling of peace.
Most people believe coastal living is just too expensive to consider, especially in retirement. However, there are many cost-effective options to choose from, if you know where to look. Once you have decided to focus on finding a coastal property, you need to determine what type of environment suits you best.
Some Of The Coastal Properties You Might Choose From Include:
- Touristy resort towns with lots of amenities, large expat communities, international dining options, and easy access
- Small fishing villages where you can blend in with the local residents and soak up their culture
- Cozy beach towns with friendly locals, family-owned shops and restaurants, and a more laid-back vibe
- Colonial cities featuring some of the oldest historic centers, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and centuries-old architecture
- Surf destinations and hippy villages with rustic beauty and energetic nightlife activities, or
- Boating destinations where you can rent a slip in a marina or drop anchor near land.
Some people don’t want to live directly on a beach for a variety of reasons, so an ocean-view residence can be a better option. Just being near water grants you access to many forms of water sports, beautiful vistas, amazing sunrises and sunsets, and a water-based lifestyle.
Several of our favorite coastal properties feature historic port towns, tropical paradises, or the charm of old European culture in Latin American locations such as Mexico, Panama, Belize, Colombia, and Brazil and European gems like Portugal, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Northern Cyprus, and more. One of these options is sure to suit your coastal needs.
As the long season of COVID-19 wanes, everyone worldwide seems ready to get back traveling. Booking sites can’t take reservations fast enough… wedding venues and …
Sophisticated Caribbean—Your Second Home In The Sun From US$70,000 If you dream of white sands, turquoise waters, and year-round sunshine… but crossed the Caribbean off …
If you’re an ocean lover, it’s hard to beat a home on the Pacific. Imagine waking each day to a view of dramatic coastline and …
My colleague Kat Kalashian recently wrote about the many benefits of living near water… A few years back, Kat realized that, wherever in the world she …
Most of us think of colonial cities as being situated in the highlands… not on the ocean. In fact, when we talk about various lifestyles …